This guest post comes to us from Mandy Shunnarah-Reed, book blogger, writer, and host of the Columbus, Ohio chapter of Silent Book Club. It was originally posted on her blog, Off the Beaten Shelf.
One of the things I look forward to every month is the Columbus, Ohio chapter of Silent Book Club meeting. Everyone brings their own book and reads together quietly for an hour, then we all nerd out about books afterward. If you're in the area, you should come hang out with us!
We meet on the second Tuesday of every month and this time we met at the Parsons branch of the Columbus Metro Library, followed by a trip to Two Dollar Radio Headquarters, a bookstore/cafe across the street.
We kick off the meeting with a quick round of introductions where everyone says their name and a little about what they're reading. I always take notes and post the full book list the next day.
It's a great way for everyone to learn about books they might like and I've picked up several books I loved based on what people were reading and recommended to the group.
Here's what the group is reading this month:
- The Dead Beat: Lost Souls, Lucky Stiffs, and the Perverse Pleasures of Obituaries by Marilyn Johnson
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker
- Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson
- The Darkest Legacy by Alexandra Bracken
- Ghost by Jason Reynolds
- Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger by Rebecca Traister
- A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
- The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian Green
- Noir by Christopher Moore
- Stitch of Time: The Year a Brain Injury Changed My Language and Life by Lauren Marks
- She Lies in Wait by Gytha Lodge
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
- Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover
- Rage Becomes Her: The Power of Women's Anger by Soraya Chemaly
- The Accidental Superpower: The Next Generation of American Preeminence and the Coming Global Disorder by Peter Zeihan
- Frederica by Georgette Heyer
- How to Fracture a Fairy Tale by Jane Yolen
- Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human by Harold Bloom
- Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
- Breakthrough Advertising by Eugene M. Schwartz
- An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks
- Postcards From the Edge by Carrie Fisher
- There Is Nothing Wrong with You: Going Beyond Self-Hate by Cheri Huber
- Lone Wolf and Cub by Kazuo Koike
- The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte
- The Prodigal God: Recovering the Heart of the Christian Faith by Timothy Keller
- A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
- The Self-Care Project: How to Let Go of Frazzle and Make Time for You by Jane Hardy
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck by Mark Manson
There are Silent Book Club chapters throughout and US and several around the world, so if you're not in Columbus, OH, check the events on the SBC website to find one near you!